ALOGHAR program of DISA was started initially as a Child Rights Center in the year 2003 with the financial support of UCEP Bangladesh and Save the Children Sweden-Denmark; which continued up to 2008. After the end of the project and financial support, the Center was going to be stopped. The Chief Executive of DISA, Md. Shahid Ullah was keen to continue the service of the Center in widely for the community people and children considering the social and community need. As per his planning, the center was renamed as ALOGHAR (means knowledge & information Centre) and has been given priority and started providing supports from the other project of DISA. The Aloghar was successfully initiated by Chief Executive of DISA to support its activities through volunteering monthly donations of DISA staffs.
Goal of ALOGHAR:
Build ‘Enlightened Nation’ with quality, moral and academic education for the betterment of humanity.
- To provide library services to the community.
- To ensure internet access for the members of Aloghar.
- To help people with information and relevant guide books for having employment at private and public organizations.
- To provide scholarship to meritorious and disadvantage students.
- To help the students with the academic books and spaces for home works.
- To make easy access to all leading daily national newspapers for the community people.
- Archive of daily newspapers to get previous information for reference & research.
- To create scope of learning, study and enjoying through TV and VDO display.
- ALOR ASHOR-To create/build awareness regarding social and national issues throughout.
Branches of ALOGHAR:
- DISA is currently running the central ALOGHAR at E/11 Pallabi Extension, Mirpur-11 ½, Dhaka-1216. Beside the central ALOGHAR, the replica branches of ALOGHAR have been established in five different locations of Bangladesh.
Current Services of ALOGHAR:
- Library Service (Reading and lending in free of cost) with 5,898 books and journals on every day.
- All leading Newspapers and Magazines (Daily, weekly, and monthly).
- Scholarship support for poor, meritorious and disadvantaged students.
- Provide support to the people (who needed) through Newspaper Archives.
- Internet browsing and E-mail services for information collection.
- Employment guiding Books for BCS, Teachers, Defense services and General jobs.
- Organize Weekly ALOR ASHOR (a community discussion session), to build awareness and increase participation on social and national issue.
- Psychosocial Services to the children and adult.
- Publications of knowledge base and creative books of new and popular writers.
- Celebrate different National-International days through organizing events and special programs..
Eligibility Criteria of Students for Onuron Scholarship:
The main goal of Onuron Foundation is to provide funding to the primary and the secondary level students who fail to continue their studies due to the financial crisis. DISA, with the technical guidance of Onuron Foundation; select the students for scholarship based on different aspects of the application, for example, financial status, merits, availability of the sponsors, etc.
ALOGHAR are free to the community. Primarily school students, high school students, slum children, street children, college/university students, medical & engineering students, BCS examinees, retired persons, business persons, teachers, housewives, unemployed persons and various professionals from local community are members of the ALOGHAR.
For more information regarding ALOGHAR MEMBERSHIP, SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM, ALOR ASHOR SESSION, MAKE A DONATION TO ALOGHAR, ALOGHAR PROKASHONI, NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE, please visit the official webpage of ALOGHAR (www.aloghar.org)